Wednesday, January 24, 2007

To bring in the new semester, I snapped a shot of my first cafeteria meal.



It was a pretty decent menu. We had stuffed shells, carrots, potatoes, and an optional salad bar. Our school offers multiple lines, so there were a few more choices than that. What I ate, however, was the main spread.



The shells were a bit hard. I don't know if it's a matter of the pasta being overcooked or what, but the crunchy bits are a bit disconcerting. Luckily, the ricotta inside the shell was smooth and creamy, with a mild herb taste. The marinara sauce--made with sweet, sweet tomato--paired nicely with the creamy ricotta.

The carrots were nice and firm. They were cooked to perfection, slicing off cleanly at the bite. The potatoes were a great surprise. I couldn't believe it! Normally, the cafeteria cuts costs by serving up bland, warehouse-stock potatoes. This meal, they decided to spice things up with russet potatoes smothered in herbs. (Whew!)

Overall, the meal was pleasant. My cohorts--that is, the rest of the college people--were a bit put-off when I whipped out my camera, but hey! I have a food blog to update!

Coming up: posts on my trip to New Orleans. Oh, yes!

1 comment:

Rene' Ardesch said...

Yummy! I have a fantasy where someone cooks all that stuff and skinny old me gets to eat it. Now wouldn't that be Cool! You were the next blog and it made me hungry. Here's my blog....
http://kaweahriverdrumcircle.blogspot.com/